Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Kitty Family

My thoughts are still on the family concept. This photo shows a recent handmade porcelain bowl. I made for a friend with three cats. In a sense, these are his four legged family. 
Usually, my bowl has one gato, which is Spanish for cat, or un chat,which is the french word, depending on what language I am feeling that day, or what has sold. Adding  the foreign words to my creation is a way for me to use my hard earned language skills. I like to appeal to  other peoples' native tongue and have fun with that. As a calligrapher, I love using  letters on any art form I can create. 
This series has  a different approach to the basic bowl shape, which I choose to make not the round. I hand draw each figure and letter on the bowl before it goes into the kiln for the first firing. Often I use a cobalt blue because it makes such a nice contrast when it is high fired with a clear glaze. The white color is the  actual porcelain clay body revealed. Now the bowl is strong enough to use in the oven or microwave.This part of my work I call my "Critter" pots. I enjoy using animals on my artwork because  we can all relate and share some connection.
 I enjoy making art that makes you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment