Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Creature Pot

 I thought I would continue  the thread of my last blog, which related to family and my different take on that. Now truthfully, doesn't  this picture remind you of one of your relatives? Or maybe I was looking in the mirror when I woke up and that translated into one of my creations.
This lidded jar is part of my series of low fire ceramic, folk art vessels. The lid comes off as you hold onto her head. If it isn't a "critter" pot ,  then perhaps I could call it a "Creature" pot. I do like to sculpt the human form, usually the female. I prefer to leave in in a rather abstract form, so that is is every person we are looking at, no one specific. The colors of pink and turquoise seem to go so well with her blond hair.  
Families are made up of different individuals, yet we are all so similar in many of our aspects. This can apply even to our role in our family. We can be mother, or father, sister, or brother, cousin or Auntie. There is a universality in our roles, and yet we are each so very distinctive, especially to ourselves.
 So it is with each piece I make. Even if I am trying to recreate my previous form, there is always something quite unique that comes forth. Just like each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment