Thursday, August 22, 2013

Just Give Peace a Chance

 Just give peace a chance. That'a a start.We're all in this together.
These feelings inspired my latest creation in ceramics. The title is " Words of Peace". A fourteen inch plate that hangs on the wall like a canvas, or stands on its foot on the table.I made the letters big and bold. I want the phrase to stand out and grab the viewer's eyes and  heart. 
This is an experimental approach to both ceramics and calligraphy for me,as I use  my own interpretation of the Uncial style  alphabet. Who says letters have to be all in a row? I like engaging  the viewer's attention in what they are seeing. 
After many years as  a pen and ink calligrapher, I am enjoying  the medium of clay on which to write my letters. It adds a dimensional quality to the piece. Using low fire glazes insure that bright, almost poster like quality I am seeking. It's an all new direction. What do you think?         

3 comments:

  1. It is nice to combine your talents. There are probably lots of places you can go with the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought provoking...the message asks us to think outside the box, and inside a peace sign - cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the same mental dynamic as advertisers use in their roadside billboards. While you are traveling on the freeway, you may not notice the billboards consciously, but a certain part of their message steeps into the unconscious, and influences you the next time you go to the store.

    ilchi lee prayer of peace

    ReplyDelete