Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Scroll Book from Fabric

Here I am making my latest book project, which I show in the picture below. Made of fabric, both cover and pages are rolled up into a scroll form when complete.  Rolled books are a very ancient form of communication. We see examples in ancient tapestries and literature. Back then I am sure the pages were hand sewn. 
Being in  modern times, I used fusible lining and a hot iron. Always this is a learning process. I chose a thick denim, and transferred words of poetry right onto each "page" of material. I can see how this would be a fun vehicle for my original calligraphy. 
 The weight of the fabric made it hard for the denim to  adhere. Using steam  helped with the joining. I may go back and add a few stitches, for security's sake. This is still a work in progress for me.I guess it could hang up on a wall in its open form. There are so many paths to follow in this wonderful world of book arts.
                                                                


No comments:

Post a Comment