Monday, September 9, 2013

Peccary in the Red Rocks

Last night I was awakened by the sound of hard rain coming down. I also heard the sound of hoof beats on the deck. It was a herd of javalina, technically a collard peccary, that hog like creature that wandered from South America to the cliffs of Sedona. 
They were looking for a place to get out of the rain. I asked them to leave, rather emphatically, and they lumbered off.Then they returned, using the stairs again, no less. I clapped my hands, made noise, turned on the porch lights and finally they departed, again.I saw the silhouette of a very small young one. 
This was not my first sighting, having lived here so many years. I remember how funky they smell close up. I have observed how pointed are the tusks on the dominant male. He has to protect his whole harem of females and young. 
However it was a very dark and stormy night, with the rain coming down in torrents. Awakened as I was from dreamland, this was not my idea of fun. 
We can almost forget for a moment, living in our civilized town, just how close to the wilderness we really are. But in the night, all creatures great and small emerge.It is their land, but we do share it.
Perhaps I will be  drawing  a peccary on an art creation in my future!  

No comments:

Post a Comment