Sunday, August 30, 2015

A New Mask is Created

Here is my latest ceramic innovation, named the " Scarlet Spirit" . I  am continuing  on my path of creating smaller masks, something  you can hold in your palm or hang in a small space. 
I do not have very big hands. This measures about six inches from top to bottom.
September 4th, 2015, is First Friday here in Sedona, AZ., where I live and exhibit. Galleries stay open later, from 5 until 8 pm; artists are present, and they serve refreshments. It is a great way to participate in the art scene here in Sedona. The  Moving On Gallery, located in the Hillside shopping area, invited me to participate as a guest artist in their mask exhibition, along with Pat Priola, an owner, and artist Patty Miller.
I like shows, they give me an impetus to create something entirely original  for that event. I have made some bigger masks in this round style, adorned with their horsehair halos. They are gone; sold. Time to look through the looking glass and shrink their size.
Smaller is Not necessarily easier, I might add.I must take a long time to dry these items or they will crack. I like to make my ceramics light in both material, and feeling. Glazed, they are fired once in my kiln to be hardened. Then a second, primitive firing creates that smoky look. Each mask is carefully constructed with copper wire , covered in yarn, so very secure to hang. I am  creating not only for the present, but to last into the future. 
Stop on by this coming Friday night and say hello if you are in Sedona.

2 comments:

  1. Love your new creations. As always, they are meaningful - reminiscent of the past.
    Keep up the creative juices my friend.

    Lee in Maine

    ReplyDelete