Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Art of Bluegrass 2015

Hearing live  bluegrass music in the sunshine, set among the tall pines in Flagstaff Arizona. What could be better? 
Here I am volunteering at    " Pickin' in the Pines" Bluegrass and Acoustic music festival this past weekend.  What fun  hearing such a fantastic group of musical artists. It lasts three days,and seven or eight bands each day. Early til late, and I was there for it all!
The headliner, Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder, was top notch. I also liked hearing  music of the other musicians.  Fiddle; mandolin; guitar; and base are present in most of the groups. Lots of these sounds have a long history in our country. 
Who can forget the energy of the Hogslop Stringband out of Nashville? Or not remember such an artistic handle ? Laurie Lewis and the Righthands have been around a while, but were new to me. The young musicians of  Mountain Heart had every one movin'. So many others with whom I connected musically.
This year was my first as a volunteer, although I have attended for the past eight years. This whole shebang is a volunteer effort of FFOTM, Flagstaff Friends of Traditional Music. I am a member. I started out at the contra dances they sponsor.
It was a pleasure to help in  their booth, selling raffle tickets and memberships. Bonnie and Terry Alan from the Flagstaff School of Music did a huge amount of work, as did so many others in the organization. 
I am happy I was a part of this musical adventure, listening to art of bluegrass, 2015 style!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment