Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Congratulations Lucky Thirteen



Here it is the 13th of November. I know two great people with birthdays today, and I was born on the 13th of another month. So I say to us all, Congratulations! A lucky number, in my opinion. A prime number, I was told, which is a mathematical term , but also a compliment in our local vernacular. Yet there are so many superstitions about this particular number.Hotels often leave off this floor.Observe  next time you are in an elevator. Here's a fact I just read while perusing the dictionary.  It was the thirteenth amendment to the US Constitution that  outlawed slavery, ratified in 1865.  So lots of reason to celebrate the number thirteen, and I bet my readers know even more facts to share. 
 Being a calligrapher, I had to make a card to celebrate this occasion, and here it is. I like to give a little information about the  image you see. I wrote out this word in the Italic style of calligraphy, adding a flourish, of course.This was then printed twice  onto an 8 1/2 by 11" inch parchment paper. When cut in half, voila, there are two cards per sheet. With greeting cards, we often have to work backwards from the size of  envelopes available.
I like to  play with  watercolor on each image. Here I used  purple with gold  paint. It is truly a one of a kind card, because even  I am not entirely sure what it will  look like until it drys! Enjoy your 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment