Friday, March 1, 2019

Goddess Figure

Here we have my latest Goddess figure, all smooth and sensuous. She stands about 14 inches tall, including her lovely hair. 
I have always been drawn to the female form. Working with clay,  I prefer a certain abstraction in my  design. Everything does not have to be exactly like our bodies, and everyone is unique, to be sure. It is the concept and the different imagery with which I like to work.
This lovely lady is made from my preferred  clay body, porcelain.That is especially useful  when it comes time to burnish her to a fine sheen. I use horsehair for her decoration, and made a little beaded necklace for adornment.
The  first firing is in my regular kiln. Lastly comes the pit firing, using  wood to fire. The results are full of  surprises. I am happy with the play of dark and light browns; the bronze tones; the hint of metallic flashing here and there . She's a Goddess, and  she does what she wants!

1 comment:

  1. Right on. The mottling brown is beautiful and the shape is, as you say, sensuous. I can picture holding this in my hand.

    ReplyDelete