Thursday, December 1, 2016

Calligraphy for the Holidays

Here it is that time of year again and I am in Sedona,  making my holiday cards, by hand, in calligraphy , with a watercolor background.  
It is a labor of love, but none the less, it is work. 
I exchange cards with fellow calligraphers, so naturally, everyone wants to put out a little more  effort to create something unique.
I don't know what my exact inspiration was. I have this blue ink and I love to do watercolor washes, so I thought, why not try to combine these two?  I knew I wanted to overlap some of the letters, to make the viewer really look for the message. There is a quality with water and paint which we cannot control. Thus I could abstract the whole image. Therein is some  magic.
What is  one word that best describes our feelings at this time of year? I picked Rejoice. I do love the holidays. No matter what your religion, there is a reason to celebrate at this time. 
Using a whole sheet of card stock, for which I had matching envelopes, I folded it in half, and then cut to size. It is an approximate five by seven inch" canvas". I decided to cut a scalloped edge, to make it a little more festive. ( They make scissors for this!) 
Since each card is made by hand, no two are alike. However, the vision is similar. Then when you open the card inside you see, another side of my calligraphy... 

No comments:

Post a Comment