Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Nature as My Inspiration

Here I am hiking with Charlie, a friend of mine, in the San Francisco peaks of Flagstaff, AZ. Her owner was taking the picture. Thanks, Laura.
I had forgotten how high it gets up there in the San Francisco Peaks. I am at 
8,000 feet here, and I was feeling it as I climbed ever upward on this lovely Saturday morning. 
In my artist bio, I always say that nature is the inspiration for my artwork. I choose to live in the lower altitude of Sedona, AZ.  I love the red rocks, the dry heat, and not having to drive  in snow. But this part of Arizona is seductive in summer. I am entranced by  the smells; the soft breezes which make the branches of the evergreens talk to me; the vastness. It is so humbling when we get out into nature. 
All I can do it to let it come out in a feeling or an image in my clay or calligraphy. At the very least, I take these sensations back to my studio. Somehow, nature will inspire me when I am creating. And you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment