Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tango is Like Art

 Tucson tango festival is where I just spent a glorious few days taking lessons and dancing with perfect strangers.This photo was taken there.  
 I am always struck by what an art form this particular dance is. All the subtle nuances; movement techniques; the refinement of  one's existing style. I have been a dancer my whole life, but this one is humbling. Something resembling " the more you learn, the more there is to learn" syndrome.
 That is a lot like the creative process in art, I believe. I remember how much I thought I knew when I was first starting out. Perhaps our confidence is needed to get over the obstacles and keep on creating, especially  at first if we are not selling too much. "Ignorance is bliss " may have some real advantages.
Now, years later, I realize all there still is ahead of me: to learn; to grow, and to refine  what I am currently making . I think art is essentially  a solitary path. The person we want to please first is ourselves, and hope to find the appreciators of our creations. Tango is done with a partner, but ultimately we are the masters of our own style. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the analogy! I love tango music when I paint...go figure.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your analogy! I adore listening to tango and Latin music when I paint!
    Hugs!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete