Monday, November 11, 2013

Artist in Her Studio

Here I am in my ceramics studio in Sedona, Arizona. This is a lovely raku jar I have just completed.  Really, I am no longer working on it,it is ready to sell.This is both the artist and her studio  cleaned up for the photo.
However, I am in my place of creation, in the chair I always sit on, and the table I have worked at for the past 25 years, using my well worn tools. In the background are my supplies, and  the shelves containing  porcelain green ware that is waiting to be put in the kiln.Green ware refers to clay that is simply dried , and would crumble in a minute if not handled carefully. Once it is bisque fired, there is some strength to it. Then it can receive a glaze, and after the second, higher temperature firing, it is complete. The raku process has only a primitive second firing, so it is more decorative in nature.
This is one of my smallest studios in my creative career, but it is very efficient. I knew I had to fit in my work table, which is about four feet square. I rescued it from the Sedona dump many years ago. I call it my lucky table.In fact that wall in the studio was designed to fit that surface. I guess there are some superstitions in my mind. But remember, I do know the mysterious kiln gods do have power to make a good  firing. 
Hope you enjoyed the  mini tour of my studio!  

No comments:

Post a Comment