Friday, May 3, 2013

The Long Stitch Book

Here I am back in the wonderful world of handmade books . This long stitch book was used by clerics and travelers alike as early as the 14th century.
I chose to use leather for my cover, but paper or cloth also work well. The  soft outside  allows the book to open flat, making the signatures inside easy to write or sketch upon. A signature is a gathering of pages sewn together and then bound in some form to the spine. Historically,it was one page folded in four, or its multiples, and then bound together.That was for printing purposes. A book buyer would then have to cut those folded pages.
Today we choose how may pages to include. 
I chose three sheets, folded in half, nestled one inside the other, thus creating creating six pages. This book has six signatures, i. e. thirty six pages. I had to measure and hand punch each hole in the leather in order to get my linen thread through.Each grouping then connects to the next, making it a solid book.
I chose a handmade button and cut a long strip out of the leather to create a thong to hold it together. I have seen historical examples like this. Along the spine, I added three beads for ornamentation and a bit of color.
This style feels good to me. I want to create another long stitch book.

2 comments: