Monday, September 10, 2012

Flowers

I love flowers.This is a handmade porcelain "Flower Bowl" that just came out of the kiln. The shape is more  triangular, which I like because it is individual.Who says all bowls must be round? It measures approximately six inches across by two and a half inches high.Perfect size to hold anything! I make each little petal out of rolled porcelain, then attach them to the rim in a small blossom. I then hand roll each tiny stamen so it has a true floral dimensional feeling. First I fire it in the bisque, so it is solid enough to take a glaze. Next comes a second, high temperature firing with my magic turquoise glaze.This is totally lead free, food safe, and strong enough to use in the oven . Delicate but durable. These are qualities I try to bring to all my ceramics. 
I think flowers appeal to all of our senses. I like the colors, textures, and sweet smells that some emit. They make me smile.I just went to the hardware store and found myself in the garden section.I was compelled to buy some flowers for my garden. I hope I get blossoms all fall. When I go to the grocery store, I have to check out the bouquets of flowers, as much  as the fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I just  must take some  home with me. I know they will not last too long, but oh what a joy for the time they are with me.

2 comments:

  1. flower power is it. being the colours takes 1 2 a space of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victoria,
    Catching up on emails after the trip. I love the flower bowl; it is gorgeous and, obviously, you put a lot of love and work into each little piece. And of course, turquoise is a perfect color.
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete