Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Peace Before Us

The peace before us.The peace before us. This is a 5" by 7" card I designed as part of my "ripped  torn" collage series. I decided to use my own words instead of another's  on this design and hopefully, those yet to follow on my creative journey.
 I remember looking out on the red rocks and noticing how peaceful the image looked to me.Shades of reddish browns, glimmering in the sun; ragged edges of rock formations that tucked into each other; a sense of harmony that nature always seems to offer to me.
This of course becomes the artist's  first challenge. How to convey these impressions in the creation?  I chose a Canson paper with a pattern for the darker shade. The lighter shades was something I had in my paper file.  There is always the element of surprise when one is tearing paper. So there is always the element of going with the flow, a way I like to work.I think the words I chose here came to me this way.
The materials actually help give direction, and then I adapt..Less is more. Empty space actually brings attention to the image before us. The vast, western blue sky sets off the smaller silhouettes of the mountains.Our attention then focuses on what is in that space. 
  I notice when I am out in nature I find it easier to look inward. So, if there is peace in front of my eyes, can I take it inside of me? This is a journey I am still on. 
Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment