Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Handmade Book Continued

I just took down my show, including  my handmade books, such as this one, alas that  did not sell.  This pictures is of  the Zig Zag book that I put on the front of my show invitation .I was pleased with how this turned out.  Here I am being the teacher of this style of bookmaking  to a group of my fellow book artists. We all take turns passing on our knowledge to each other. When you look closely, you can see that it is really four individual smaller  books that fold up in a zig zag style  to create the one complete book.
 After all, as  an artist, there are always lessons to learn . We all like to talk shop, this being  the informal way to teach, as well as the more structured form as I am doing. I have taught calligraphy for almost 30 years, and it has always been a great lesson to stay ahead of my students. Certainly my peers are even more of a challenge! Maybe that is the lesson here. to just be more prepared than the ones who are listening . And never forget how much you can learn from the ones you are teaching. 
Does this resonate  with any of your experiences ? Care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment