Friday, April 27, 2012

The Goddess Within

 I like especially to draw or  sculpt the female form. Our bodies contain  lots of shapes,  planes, and contours.  I call this piece " The Goddess Within". It is made of porcelain, burnished to a high sheen, and fired to a lower temperature in order to maintain  that desired smooth  look. I purposely leave her face not fully portrayed, because I want to convey an abstract of all womanhood, not a specific person.  I believe  all  we woman  have a goddess within us. Certainly we are able to carry  a new life, and that alone seems holy.
 I was with a group of women today and it seems that  when getting together, we create a sisterhood more powerful  than the individual. Of course we can also take the low road and laugh a lot. The Greeks and Romans always gave their Gods and Goddesses human forms and names, and told stories about all their foibles and adventures, or often misadventures. But always there was a deity within. And so , much as I admire many men, I am glad to rejoice in my goddess within.

1 comment:

  1. figure in the photo has an inviting quality.
    totally groovy.

    ReplyDelete